Saturday 7 March 2009

I've been playing with 'Mica'!

I decided I wanted to do something different today, I didn't want to use any design papers (as gorgeous as they all are!!), so I played around with some cosmic shimmer powders to create a background for my card and also as a main feature for the image - which I then also stamped on acetate, simply coloured the hearts and placed it so that it highlighted the image.

I used two different techniques for this card, first for the background I used a 'dusting technique which meant that I stamped the image with Perfect Medium onto the black card and using the brush, dusted on the cosmic shimmer powders and just tapped them in, I removed the excess with a used tumble dryer sheet and set it with a fine mist of water using a spray bottle.

The second technique which I have used to create the main focus of the image i.e. the 3 trees, has been done with a 'lifting' technique, by rubbing clear Perfect Medium onto the black card, dusting on my chosen cs powder colours with the brush, and removed the excess powder. I then inked up the stamp with the clear Perfect Medium and stamped back onto the same card. I masked the tree and stamped with the same image on either side and again set with a fine mist of water, finished by some matting and layering and voila!

The mica doesn't really show very well in the photo, but it really creates a stunning and different effect. The stamp that I used is a Toodles & Binks stamp 'Grow a little love'.

I was hoping to have time to finish sorting out my craft room, but alas, it was not to be, maybe tomorrow!!!!

4 comments:

*Susan* said...

This card is beautiful! You can really see the shimmer when you click on the photo. Gorgeous!!

The Taming of the Glue said...

Your cards really are fab! I love the colours. Aren't Cosmic shimmers wonderful.

Becki and Alan said...

Maria, this is gorgeous!! I do love playing around with mica pigments and you really have mastered them..

Brilliant, as always!

Becki
xx

Mrs Mac said...

I really love this tree! Gorgeous card. I'm glad I can't make cards this good I would never be able to part with them- LOL!!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin